Summer School: 696 registrations, 85 countries, 150 bicycles

03-08-2018

Radboud University's Summer School has broken yet another record: 696 registrations for 37 courses. The first international participants will be arriving in Nijmegen this Sunday.

The 619 Summer School participants come from 85 different countries and will arrive in Nijmegen on Sunday. ‘This is a record number,’ says coordinator Alice Nieboer. Some students are taking two consecutive one-week courses, bringing this year’s total number of registrations to 696, compared to 620 last year. Roughly 90% of the participants are international students, with the remaining 10% being Dutch students.

Red bicycles

‘We’ve ordered extra bicycles,’ says Nieboer. Participants can be easily identified by their Radboud red bicycles with white baskets ever since the very first edition five years ago. However, not all participants are given a loan bicycle, as experience shows that some lack the skills to safely ride the Dutch roads. ‘We have about 150 bike to loan out, plus helmets.’

During the Summer School, participants can brush up on their knowledge in a specific field and gain international experience. They include both students and researchers. All faculties offer their own courses, ranging from such topics as Brexit to climate change and cognitive neuroscience. ‘But the Faculty of Medicine has more courses than the Faculty of Arts.’

The participants will stay at the Talia or Hoogeveldt student complexes or in a hotel or B&B. They can also join a special evening programme, which includes a cruise on the Pancake Boat on Tuesday evening and bubble football (football in an inflatable orb) on Monday evening.

July

According to Nieboer, the organisers are in the process of determining whether there is sufficient interest in offering some of next year’s courses in July as well as in August. August can be a tricky month for some participants. ‘It conflicts with the planning of semesters in countries like India and Australia.’

Students are expected to pay for their own courses and travel expenses, unless these are covered by a scholarship from their home university. The last participants will head home on Saturday 18 August.

Leave a comment

Vox Update

A daily or weekly newsletter with our articles in your mailbox!

Weekly
Dutch